Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Defying the groundhog


Punxatawney Phil might have said we had more winter to go, but try telling that to the house finches. And the flickers. The last couple of days have been sunny and mild (for February), and the ever-optimistic members of the Class Aves have been chortling their glee. I have, too, for that matter.

Still, there's no denying that the ochre grass and gray twigs of the winter landscape remain dominant. The conifers are green, of course... but the words "lush" and "verdant" stay filed away in boxes with my summer clothes.

Thank goodness for paint. And photos and sketches from last season to work with. I have cheered myself this afternoon with my favorite native blooms: blanketflowers in red and yellow. Tomorrow, after a brief stint as Virtual Boss Lady (I'm minding the online store of a friend who is out of town for a few days) I think I'll at least get a new small linocut ready to go. It's been too long since one has graced these pages. Not to mention too long since my tools have been busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...