Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Slow going


Favorite linocut carving tool is still on injured reserve, but I'm trying to keep moving on this Tiny Linos project. Phrases like "glacial" and "snail's pace" (no disrespect intended) keep rattling around in my head.. and I can't get Joni Mitchell's voice out of my mind...

"Don’t it always seem to go
That you don't know what you’ve got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot"

I thought my veiner needed sharpening, but now that I've wrecked it, well... I can see how perfect it was just the way it was. It cruised along just fine and now... bump, scrape, chip. (sigh)

But never fear. We're still trying to fix it AND... I resorted to Plan B. I ordered a new one, just in case I've crippled this one beyond repair.

So let's see.. on the table, moving slowly: ants, cranes, turtles, a single turtle, and a dragonfly so far. The damselfly is almost sold out already, so I decided it was time for a new winged thing. But OOPH. I want my veiner. Now.

3 comments:

  1. That's so weird. I've had the same phrase from "Big Yellow Taxi" in my head for the past week. It's going in at the beginning of my talk for this weekend's Harvest Festival, in fact. (No, I will NOT be singing it!)

    I'm sorry about your injured veiner. But those tiny linos are fabulous! I'm thinking I should get some for Bill's b-day next month. Fishes, of course, and maybe a bird? Did you say you have a crane coming?

    Thanks for inspiring me. . . .
    Susan
    communityoftheland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your linocuts, they're great. They're inspiring to me too.

    So much to do, so little time!

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan.... :-) The talk was fabu, as always. (Despite Rube Goldbergian technology setup.)

    John.... Thanks so much for letting me know about you and your work. It's great! I put your Journal in my blogroll, I hope folks will check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...