Wednesday, July 28, 2010

More risky lino behavior

When colors 4 and 5 (already!) went down on this new linocut I was still engaging in that risk-laden, poorly-defined inking behavior. Ooooh! I'm such a rebel.

Of course it almost always comes back to bite me in the behind when I do this, and I'm on a deadline, and I have other deadlines for other projects looming, too.... but does that make me slow down and plan? Noooooooooooooo. Of course not.

Fans of the class Aves should actually be able to identify this critter already. Or at least come close. But please, keep it to yourselves. It's still a secret.

I'm a little embarrassed, actually, to be posting these steps. Brush and Baren has recently acquired a spate of new readers, and I hate for them to think I'm this much of a process slob all the time. Please, please stick around. The veteran readers can tell you it's usually not this...

Oh, who are we kidding? It's a madhouse around here most of the time. But welcome, anyway.

In other news, I unpacked my new woodcutting tools last night and promptly cut my finger. It's a good reminder to pack some band-aids for my workshop next week, don't you think?

3 comments:

  1. So, wait ... is there a mistake or not? I think it's quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a mistake, just a potentially dangerous method of inking. (Read: sloppy.) The olive greens here don't really appear anywhere else in the image, so I'm counting on subsequent colors to cover them. It doesn't always work, but we'll find out soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like all the colours :D and yes, always a madhouse ;p

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...