Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Inauspicious beginnings

Soundtrack for the first week of 2012: Hack. Cough. Wheeze. Sneeze. Snerk.

I almost made it through all of 2011 without catching a cold. Really. Shortly after Christmas both the DM and I noted that we felt run down. Perhaps we were fighting something. We laid low and tried to stay on top of things but, alas, two days before the new year, I went down for the count. Several miserable days later I am much improved (although not 100%)... but guess who's flat out now?

So you can well imagine that I have no new prints started, nor any new photos of a winter wonderland. What I do have is less interesting but, for me, quite satisfiying.


These are file drawers. Tidy file drawers full of finished prints.


These are tidy paper drawers. Full of prints and drawings not yet made.


And these are tidy office files. With room to spare for all the wonderful things that will come this year.

The purge is not yet as far along as I would like since my end-of-year clearance was so rudely interrupted by a rogue virus, but it's well underway. I'm twitchy to get a new print started, but I think I have to give myself another day or two. In the meantime, now that my head is significantly less congested and/or medicated, I'm going to rifle through some sketchbooks and photos and think about what's up next.

Happy New Year, everyone! Better late than never!

10 comments:

  1. Sherrie, You give me courage to continue cleaning my office. To paraphrase Dorothy Parker, "I hate cleaning, I love having cleaned." To the vacuum and the recycling bins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Patrick! Recycling! You should see the sad state of affairs HERE! We were overdue to take our recyclables to the center even before the purge and before we got sick. I think that will be our next major offensive... to prevent hostile takeover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sherrie, I'm both impressed and ashamed. I MUST have a good clear out/tidy of my studio while I can still find the door...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm I love your tidy!
    Glad to hear you're on the mend.
    Happiness to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm jealous of the file drawers, would love to have them here

    i spent all afternoon cleaning up, and still not done :/

    hopefully that is the only time you get a cold this year *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! At this instant, I am even more in awe of you for the tidiness than I am for the beautiful artworks. Outstanding effort!

    [Word verification: spare. They're not even trying anymore, are they?]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just luuuuuve flat files? They are the best thing ever. Now go mess up your tidy space with some new artwork!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sight of your flat files makes me cringe with jealousy! Oh, to have a flat file!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so jealous of those wonderful flat files you have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I'm SO fortunate in these flat files. (Although anyone who has ever helped me move doesn't think so.) Dare I tell you that both sets were free? Twice my brother moved in to offices that had abandoned flat files in them, available merely for the cost of hauling them away. I've had the big monstrosity of a green thing (known affectionately as The Green Beast) for nearly 20 years now.

    And I'm pleased to report that both the flat files and the file cabinets have managed to stay organized for two entire weeks now. Some kind of record.

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...