Friday, April 5, 2013

Fieldwork Friday: Warthog (Why not?)


One of the few things that I regret about living several hours from any big city is the infrequency of my zoo-drawing expeditions. When I lived in Denver I filled a large sketchbook with zoo sketches every few months. Now it takes a year, sometimes two.

I enjoy drawing at the zoo, but some days I despair at the things I overhear. The "Disneyfication" of animals makes me crazy. Every clown fish is Nemo. Every warthog is Pumba. (sigh) I suppose I should be pleased that observers can recognize the origins of animated characters, at least...

But there's often something to chuckle about, too. (Remember the story of the kid and the brain-sucking giraffes?) Not long ago, as I sat drawing a camel, a family consulted their zoo map: "I think these are dromedaries. Where do they keep the bacterial camels?"

I dunno. In a petri dish, I hope.

2 comments:

  1. LOL! In a secured lab, too. I shudder to think of what would happen if bacterial camels escaped.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! well at least they were close :p

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...