Sunday, May 19, 2013

Where were we? Oh, right. Magpie linocut demo.

So 'way back in April... almost exactly a month ago, in fact... I started a demonstration piece to work on during my residency at the Woodson Art Museum. Do you remember it? Magpie? Fencepost? Swoopy background?

You can go back and look at the steps in the April 22 post if you like, or you can be satisfied with this "steps-up-to-the-point-at-which-it-went-in-a-box-and-got-shipped" photo.


Remember it now?

All that was left was the final color, which for reasons of practicality I decided would be plain ol' black. Fortunately it worked out to pull a couple of prints during the demos, but I still had the rest of the edition to finish when I returned home.

Here's the completed piece. I didn't really have any expectations for it, since I threw it together rather quickly, but I like the way it turned out. A bit "designier" than I've been doing lately, and only seven colors! (What?)

"Magpie Waits," reduction linocut, 6" x 9"
 I may go back and mess around with the gerenuk demo piece some more now, or I may just put it aside and start something new (more likely). It will be good to get back into a working rhythm again.

5 comments:

  1. Practically minimalist, Sherrie! And very,very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the simplicity and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I began my first reduction linocut yesterday - I've got a long way to go - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of your color and detail. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A long time admirer of your work and simplicity of design, lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...