Friday, March 7, 2014

Linocut in Progress: Spot inking and the puffin

In my previous post I mentioned that I was doing some spot inking in the puffin's face. I've done this on several pieces before, but just in case you're new to the idea, here's a shot to clarify.


In this instance I have cut a mask from clear mylar. The opening doesn't have to be perfect, just large enough to allow inking access in the face while keeping stray ink out of places I don't want it. I run the roller over the selected area and remove the mylar to print. I replace it to re-ink the block each time, so using transparent film helps me get it in the right place.

Puffin linocut: Step 5, spot ink gray in the face.
Sorry I neglected to take a close-up at this stage.... you can't really tell much from this photo.

After the gray was applied in the face, I carved a wee bit more and then ran a transparent gray over the entire block.

Puffin linocut: Step 6.
The rocks are starting to take form. I wasn't totally satisfied with the value of the gray on the underside of the puffin's bill, so I let that portion of the block stand while I carved more rock and applied one more transparent gray.

Puffin linocut: Step 7

This print looks really blotchy, but that's a function of strange lighting, I think. I did remember to take a closeup at this stage so you can see all that's happening in our puffin's face. The yellow, orange, and red were all applied through the same mask, I just carved away more area each time... Sort of a reduction within a reduction, if that makes sense. The gray bits were inked using the second mask pictured above.

Step 7 closeup
I like how the rock looks at this stage, so I think I'll turn my attention elsewhere for a bit. There's some spot inking that needs to happen on the rock and then I'll tackle that big expanse of background.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You are sooo patient. All these little masks are a pain in the butt, however, they do result in amazing details and colors. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for this detailed explanation of the masks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure makes me wish I paid more attention in grade school when we were warming our linoleum blocks by sitting on them...then again talent is also a big part of the picture. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for the close up :D its great to see the detail of one of your prints :)

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...