Monday, August 25, 2014

Linocut in Progress: More pink... with green.

Finally this summer of craziness is starting to wind down. One more trip on the schedule next week, to the Woodson Art Museum in Wisconsin for the opening of Birds in Art, and then maybe I'll be able to reclaim some sort of work routine.

In the meantime this little linocut goes forward as haphazardly as it was begun. Today I added a little more red to that crazy pink and a little more blue to the previous green and rolled them up together like this:


Wow. Seems a bit over the top. I worked the blend a little longer after this photo was taken, then inked up the block and crossed my fingers.

Paintbrush linocut: Step 7
Not bad. But now, of course, I am obliged to figure out what to do with the background other than the few hatch marks I've made so far. I think the next pass will be a solid-transparent-blueish-something. Narrows it down completely, doesn't it? But I want to settle the shadows in the flower, darken some of the lower area, get rid of the red in the background, and try to pull everything together before going on. I'm toying with the idea of making the upper background really dark. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.... We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...