Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Back from "Birds in Art" with even more excellent exhibition news!

Opening night crowd at the Birds in Art preview.

Whew! What a fantastic weekend! Once again (for the 39th time, to be precise) the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum staff facilitated a superb weekend of art and artists for this year's "Birds in Art" exhibition.

It's always wonderful to spend time with "the tribe" of wildlife artists, but this year I enjoyed the added surprise of visits to the exhibition by friends I hadn't seen in more than 10 and more than 20 years! So great to reconnect with Jon and Erin and Ella... thanks for coming out.

L to R: Anne Faust, Guy Cohleach, Sherrie York. Hey, that's me! And that's
my piece now permanently in residence at the Woodson Art Museum.

The bonus excitement happened after I left Wisconsin, however. My flight was delayed in Dallas because of a leaking coffee maker (yes, seriously... water everywhere) when I my phone rang with an unfamiliar Wausau, Wisconsin identification. "Great," I thought. "What did I leave behind at the hotel THIS time?"

Wood ducks find a new home at the Woodson Art Museum!

But it wasn't the hotel, it was curator Jane Weinke calling to give me the news that the Woodson Museum will purchase Shower With a Friend for its permanent collection. Wonderful and humbling, as this is my third purchase by the museum, and the second through funds from Project Postcard. My contributions to Project Postcard were shared as distorted blobs here, but I can now show them in their entirety here:


Birds in Art artists donate 4" x 6" images to the project, which are offered to reception-goers for a flat $50 each. The "postcards" are hung together in a "secret" room and buyers can't see them ahead of time. Ticket holders enter the room one at a time and have one minute in which to make their choice. Artist signatures are on the back of postcard so buyers can't be certain whose piece they are getting.

My linocut, Ripples, added to the Woodson collection via Project Postcard in 2011... and to be so honored again this year... well... it's definitely something special.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Sherrie! That is really exciting news. I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! It's great to think of the Woodsen having a Sherrie York collection.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific post, Sherrie. Lots of "warm fuzzies." I'm just now catching up on post-Birds in Art reading and messages. So good to see you and yes, we, too, are delighted that "Shower with a Friend" will be part of the Woodson Art Museum's collection. Keep up the great work, Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...