Wednesday, May 20, 2015

(Pr)in(t)spiration Day: Marthe Armitage

I'm in the final countdown for departure to the coast of Maine, which means that there will be pitifully few print-related posts while I get myself 2000 miles east and settled in to a routine. The next few weeks won't allow much time for image-making, but I do plan to share sketches and photos as I can.

In the meantime.... my friend Merry Cox, a fantastic found object sculptor, sent me a link to this charming video of Marthe Armitage, a British designer of wallpaper and fabrics. Ms. Armitage hand- carves and hand- prints wallpaper to order.... from lino blocks! It's mind-boggling, really.

There's a great article with lots of photos at The Bible of British Taste, too.


6 comments:

  1. So interesting! I love her printing machine - it's very clever. Kind of a cross between a straightforward relief press and a litho press. Cool!
    What beautiful papers they produce though. And Marthe is right - her work is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is amazing work, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, loved it... was sent to me by Uppercase Magazine.. she is so amazing indeed, would be a great trip to visit her + her daughter!!!
    Safe travels to ME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the press is a letterpress proof press. I have a similar thing in storage here (no place to set it up to use it, and it needs work).

    Would be a fun field trip, wouldn't it? I have dreams of doing a UK "tour of printmakers" some day, I know several really great print artists in Scotland, Wales, Ireland, England....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...makes me want to go out to the studio and create! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...