Monday, December 12, 2016

So... now what?

Linocuts at Ann Korologos Gallery

The journey to the other side of the mountain (literally) is complete.

And by "literally" I mean literally. Not figuratively, which is what many people mean when they say literally, a misuse which has somehow been legitimized by respected dictionaries. Argh.

But this is not a vocabulary blog, and I digress.

I went over the Continental Divide and came back again. I live in the Rockies. This is normal. (Literally.) The return trip was a wee bit more adventurous weather-wise than I prefer when traversing high mountain passes, but I'm home and it's all good.

The reception and "Rosebud" demo at Ann Korologos Gallery in Basalt went well; it's always fun to help people wrap their brains around the linocut process. And I don't think I've ever had a more festive arrangement for talking to visitors:




Stockings hung by the chimney with care. And above the mantel? A slideshow of work in the gallery, so everyone gets to be over the fireplace from time to time. (And yes, that's "Dinner Party" up there at the moment. What? Did you think I wouldn't wait until one of my own pieces came up?)

So far today I've been catching up with administrative tasks – bookkeeping (rah), correspondence (RAH!), packing work for shipping. I even managed a little bit of end-of-year paper purging, although there's waaaayyyy more to do.

It's time to head back to the studio and I'm faced with the question of questions: Now what?

Do I start right away with a new big piece? Or maybe produce a couple of small things? Do I want to work on another bird? Or a landscape? Or something for the "Underfoot" series? Or maybe none of those things. Sometimes the hardest part of the work is deciding which of the vague ideas wandering around inside my head needs to be tackled next!

So I'll go push around some sketches and sift through some photos, and see what happens. Because, as Picasso is reputed to have said, "Inspiration exists, but it has to find us working."

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. :-) Maybe, Nina. Although I'm leaning towards waterfowl and water.. I haven't done any since the beginning of the year. But then there might be another small dog lino. And maybe a cat. And....

      Delete
  2. I wanted to let you know I was at the Houston Museum of Natural Science on Sunday and got to see the Animal Art exhibit. Your linocut "Cruisin'" was so incredible to see in person. What a fantastic exhibit to be in. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April! Hey, great that you got to see the SAA show! It's a spectacular exhibition and a great honor to be in it. "Cruisin'" is going to be cruising on the national tour when the show ends in Houston. That pelican's getting a lot of mileage!

      Delete
  3. another bird? and sleep, don't forget sleep :p

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...