Saturday, August 5, 2017

Linocut in Progress: Picking up where I left off

My two months in New England zoomed by at the speed of light, but this week I returned home to my studio and zoomed right back to work on the linocut that was in progress before I left.

Just as a reminder, here's where the print was at the end of May:

When we last left our hero: Step 6

Settling back down to carve for the next color pass was relatively straightforward, but I did have a little trepidation when it came time to print again. After hanging on the rack for two months the prints were VERY dry, which could have caused some issues. Paper shrinkage, and therefore registration problems, and poor adhesion of new ink layers were two possibilities that sprang immediately to mind.

At the end of my last print session (in May) I folded leftover ink into wax paper and tucked it away. I was pleasantly surprised to find both little packets still viable, so the colors from Step 6 became the base for the next pass.

Wheeeeeeee! Rainbow roll!

This green-to-blue-to-green blended roll looks quite dramatic on the block, but both colors were very transparent. Thankfully I had absolutely no issues with ink or registration, and subtle complexities of foliage started to develop.


Reduction linocut in progress, Step 7

It's all looking rather alarmingly green now, so it's time to sit back and assess what needs to happen next. My inclination is to try to moderate some of the brightness, so maybe I'll try something crazy like a transparent red layer over the entire block! Or not.

It feels good to be back to work... and I'm even happy to have a little ink under my fingernails. Onward!

11 comments:

  1. Welcome home, Sherrie! Great to see you have got straight back in there :-) Absolutely love this print and can't wait to see what happens next! Bonne Courage :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I saw a few photos pop up this summer... your place is looking gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. I'm loving learning about your process. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always fun to follow your Maine adventures, but great to see you back on the print. When I've been working different mediums for a short time then go back to watercolor I get nervous, like I am starting over again. Just jumping is, as you did with this print, is always the best thing to do. Goodness generally results. Can't wait to see how you resolve the "green-ness."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there was some trepidation, but I also just wanted to get after it. I've been really restless the last couple of weeks, needing to get back to this!

      Delete
  4. glad there were no issues with the dried prints. I actually never thought that could be a problem before :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's less of a problem if there aren't a lot of layers already on the paper, but if there are... then it can be hard for a new layer to adhere, since there's nowhere for the ink to go other than the surface. If that makes sense. Which it probably doesn't. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I have been experimenting with very basic one and two colour linocuts and I will be showing linocut techniques to my art group in October. Seeing I'm a total beginner myself, have you any tips on what I need to concentrate on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Run away, run away! No, just kidding... but watch out or you might get addicted. For your own practice, I would concentrate on getting a feel for the right amount of ink. I see a lot "newbie" prints that get really heavy-handed with ink application. You can get away with a lot less than you might think.

      And always cut away from yourself and keep your non-cutting hand out of the way. No bleeding! :-)

      Delete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...