Thursday, September 20, 2012
Finishing the gull linocut
As often happens, the last couple of stages of the gull linocut have been giving me a few headaches, but I think I'm finally ready to call this piece finished.
There are three different grays visible in the bird's wings and back, but I changed them multiple times. The value steps were either too big or too small, which caused much weeping and gnashing of teeth. In the end I think I hit an okay balance. Not perfect. But okay. The bird's dark primary tips took a few tries to get right, also. Too black, and they seemed to separate from the bird. Too light and they didn't seem black.
But I'm pleased overall with the sense of light, and I like the half-border this time. It gives everything another layer of dimension.
From here I'm feeling twitchy to get on with some larger pieces again, but I was reminded yesterday that I'm participating in a miniatures exhibition in a few weeks and I need to have one or two other things ready for that first. This afternoon I started drawing up a complex little autumn leaf image that has some potential for bold colors and high contrast, which I'm looking forward to after all this weirdness with grays.