Saturday, October 3, 2026

Linocut in Progress: Did You See That?

Put on your deerstalkers and get out your magnifying glasses, because we're back to trying to sleuth out the order of operations on this small reduction linocut when we are possession of insufficient documentation.

Our last clue we bravely (perhaps rashly) named Step 5. Here are a bunch of those prints at this stage... all politely waiting for whatever came next.

Reduction linocuts at Step 5. Maybe.

The next image I have in the chronology of my photos is this one, which seems to be the next rollup. We're back to a blue ink... although this one sports a bit more gray.

Step 6 rollup

And then I have this somewhat helpful photo comparing this stage with the next. 

Steps 6 and 7. Or are they?

But here's something tricky that happened somewhere in here, also. If you take a look at the birds' beaks, you'll notice there's a gray crescent that has been added somewhere along the line. I imagine that was a bit of spot inking.

Here's a better look at it.

Technically Step 7.5, I guess

I have a photo of the Step 7.5 rollup, but I do have this photo, which appears to be the final stage of dark ink.

Step 8 rollup

It's not exactly a black... but it reads that way in the end.

"Did You See That?"
Reduction linocut, 5" x 7"
© Sherrie York

So! We might not have found all the clues, but we deduced enough to declare the case solved. It might not have been elementary, dear Watson.... What started out as a "simple" image did, as so many of them do, turn out to be a bit more complex. But we can file this one under "Figured It Out Eventually" and move on to the next case!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linocut in Progress: Did You See That?

Put on your deerstalkers and get out your magnifying glasses, because we're back to trying to sleuth out the order of operations on this...