Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Wow? What just happened?

My submissions for this year's Project Postcard event at the Woodson Art Museum.

It's a cloudy and cool-ish day here in midcoast Maine, with a few rain showers moving through. Sure, we're still having days of heat and humidity, but yesterday when I drove to town I noticed two large maple trees with a distinctly orange tinge to their outermost leaves.

Summer is winding down.

While I know some people try to avoid thoughts of summer's end, this year I feel inclined to embrace it. I gave myself a rather ridiculous schedule these last three months and by golly I'm tired.

There's still plenty to do... and I'm even starting to put things into place in my 2020 schedule already... but the pace seems more reasonable. I should probably emphasize the word seems, since I know looks can be deceiving.

But I've managed to squeak out some hours in the studio the last couple of weeks. Both projects were "secrets," however, so I don't have much to show at the moment. The photo here is a distorted view of my linocut submissions for this year's Project Postcard event at the opening of Birds in Art at the Woodson Art Museum.

Birds in Art artists donate small (4x6 inch) artworks which are installed in a secret location. Patrons pay $50 for the opportunity to spend one minute (!!) in the company of the many lovely (and anonymous) pieces and to choose one to take home. The museum uses the Project Postcard funds to purchase works from the exhibition for its permanent collection... a win-win-win for museum, artists, and collectors.

In addition to small print projects I have finally managed to ship the last of my works to major fall exhibitions, so whew! I can check that off the to-do list, also.

So what's next? Oooooh! A big, not-so-secret project! I've been asked to be the poster artist for the 2020 World Migratory Bird Day events! It's an exciting opportunity, although a little bit daunting due to the short production timeline. But I had my first design conference with the organizer yesterday, and I'll be jumping in to some rough sketches the rest of this week.

And of course I've got linos on my mind... I'd like to get some smaller works going before the end of the year... although right now my brain seems stuck in ideas that demand a larger scale. Hopefully my creativity will start cooperating in more practical ways soon.

So stay with me as I switch gears and head back into the studio season. Make sure your wood pile is well-stacked and your tea supplies ready to go before the cold arrives! We've got some linos to make...

6 comments:

  1. nope no wood pile needed here, gas heating :p lol couldn't have wood heating anyway, wouldnt be able to breathe :/

    congrats on getting to do the poster for the bird day, good luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... I think it will be a fun project.
      I was afraid of heating with wood at the beginning of last season, because I've had asthma issues before, too, but it turned out to be really nice. I'm looking forward to coziness on cold days...

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on being the poster artist for the World Bird Day events! That is totally cool and a wonderful accolade, even if the schedule is very short. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Enjoy the coming of fall and all it brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm actually looking forward to hunkering down in the studio and doing some work after the summer of craziness.

      Delete
  3. Saw your beautiful exhibit of linocuts at the Audubon Bird Art Museum in Canton, Mass. Wow, I love your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mysterious Unknown Blogger! ;-) I appreciate that you stopped by the show and then took the time to let me know you enjoyed it. I means a lot!

      Delete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...