Saturday, June 27, 2020

Reduction linocut demo video!

Back in the day when one could reliably make plans I intended to go home to Colorado for a couple of weeks this summer. While I was there I was scheduled to present a hands-on printmaking demonstration at Ann Korologos Gallery in Basalt, which represents my work.

Since I couldn't be there in person this summer we thought it might be fun to do the program virtually. If you were following along here on Brush and Baren as I worked on the new linocut of columbine you might remember I mentioned that I was shooting some footage and trying to be diligent about recording all the steps. 

Well! I can finally share with you the completed video! It's a solid 15 minutes long, so you might want to make some popcorn or at least get a cup of tea before you hit play. I hope you enjoy it!



6 comments:

  1. Wonderful video Sherrie! I love the view of each stage at the end. I always learn a lot from your blogs and this is icing on the cake! Best regards, Linn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linn, I'm glad you enjoyed it and found it useful!

      Delete
  2. A great video!!!! What an intensive process but the end results are well worth it! Your work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robbie! It's definitely a labor-intensive way to make an image! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Opened my eyes to a new medium. Have been manga hanga but now find my hands gnarling from wood block carving. Think I'll try lino. Thank you for one of the best demos I've been privileged to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi August! Thanks for taking the time to comment! I am glad that you found the video helpful, and I hope you'll find lino provides you with new possibilities. Pro tip: Make sure the lino is warm (or at least not cold)! Cold lino is stiff and hard to cut, but warm, fresh sheets cut easily.

      Delete

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...