Sunday, September 27, 2026

Linocut in Progress: Little pair of puffins...

I didn't get much accomplished in the studio this summer, but I did manage a couple of little 5x7 reduction linocuts. Last week I posted the small rockweed print, this week we'll tackle some puffins. 

Once again the documentation is poor. The priority was just to DO something, and keeping close tabs on documentation was just a step too many. But I think there's enough information available to at least give us a clue about how it all unfolded.

Step 1! I carved for white and then rolled up a horizontal blend of blues.

Step 1 rollup with masks

Of course the most outstanding feature of a puffin is that ridiculous orange and yellow bill. I didn't want the blue of the water to interfere with these, so I cut some tiny newsprint masks to keep the beak area free of ink.

After this stage I carved some more shapes in the water and printed another blue blend, which was Step 2. The masking of the beaks continued.

Step 2 printed

Now it's time to tackle the aforementioned beaks, which I did with some careful spot inking. First some yellow for Step 3.

Step 3 printed, yellow spot inking

Next, a little more spot inking of the orange bits. Here's the rollup for Step 4. You can see there are some extraneous bits of color. I don't think that I used masking here; I believe I just went through and wiped those areas clean with a rag for each print. Tedious, but sometimes the best way forward.

Step 4 rollup, orange spot inking

In the photo below, the result of Step 4 is on top.... with a sneak preview of Step 5....

Steps 4  (top) and 5 (bottom) printed

Step 5 was a return to blue for more details in the water and some shadow shapes. 

Step 5 rollup

This pulled things back together a little bit and set me up for the next steps. We'll see if I can sleuth out the order of operations from other available photos. Stay tuned.

Step 5 printed


No comments:

Post a Comment

Linocut in Progress: Little pair of puffins...

I didn't get much accomplished in the studio this summer, but I did manage a couple of little 5x7 reduction linocuts . Last week I poste...