Sunday, December 23, 2012

Do we call it a lino-coot?

I tried several iterations of "one last ink color" before settling on this beauty:


Makes you want to run right out and paint your entire kitchen, doesn't it? Okay, maybe not.

I did decide (at Wendy's suggestion, thanks!) to try a blend from the side rather than the top of the image. In the end this color was so subtle that the blend from color-to-nothing didn't really show, although blending one edge into straight transparent base did keep a hard line from forming down the middle of the image.


And here's the result. I had done a bit more carving in the green reflection, so this slightly darker addition put a bit more life in the flat areas. Not overpowering, but enough to give us somewhere to look other than just at the bird.


I'm going to call it done. I have this sudden urge to title it "Lino-coot," but I suppose that's a bit obscure for those not in the printmaking "know." I'll have to think of something else. 

It's nice to have a drying rack full of freshly-pulled linocuts for the holiday... especially since this 8" x 10" image was practice for something coming up. Here's a hint: I ordered 36-inch-wide (!!) unmounted lino this morning. Merry Christmas to me!

7 comments:

  1. Lino coot. haha.
    And 36" wide? Man! Someone's gonna have aching shoulders.
    Happy and Merry to you, Sherrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherrie, Those reflections & ripples are stunning. Best yet.

    Nadolig Llawen to you from North Wales :)

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherrie, it's lovely. Resist the pun as title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lino-coot! Good one! It really does look splendid. It sounds like you have very BIG plans for the new year, I'm looking forward to reading about it.

    Wishing you a happy new year and all my best for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your coot is just lovely, I love the pun of the title!!Happy cutting with your wide lino - wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Sherry! I love your Lino Coot and his splendid swirling water. A long way since your start at Abend!

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...