Monday, December 17, 2018

Linocut in Progress: Dashing through the snow...

Well... maybe not dashing. Carving for what should be the last blue color pass took a loooooonnngggg time, but I finally got to put ink on paper today in the form of a light-to-dark(ish) blended roll.

Linocut in progress - Step 4. Embiggenable with a click.

Outside the studio it looked a lot like this, only without the contrast provided by sun. So okay... I guess it didn't really look a lot like this other than the fact that there was snow on the ground because it was actively falling from the sky. Forget I mentioned it.

I'm feeling pretty good about things at this stage. There's a temptation to do one more blue pass to deepen the shadows under the trees but I'm going to reign in that impulse. The next color pass will instead be a transparent gray, which might serve the same purpose as more blue in those areas. And honestly, the idea of finally getting to hack out large swathes of lino is so appealing after a couple of days of this kind of thing:


Of course this hasn't been the only project I've been working on... but it's the time of year when certain things just have to be kept secret.


All will be revealed in the next week, but until then... remember we only have 4 more days until the Winter Solstice. Why am I working on a snow scene when summer is on its way?

2 comments:

  1. all that carving would drive me to probably stab myself in the finger with the carving tool so i couldn't do any more :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now why didn't I think of that? I thought I knew all the ways to get out of working.... ; -)

      Delete

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...