Thursday, April 2, 2020

Linocut in Progress: Big changes, quiet mood

As if it weren't difficult enough to focus right now, the weather gods have elected to grace us with rainy, dreary weather here on the coast of Maine. I find it extra challenging to get anything done when the whole world is insisting I take a nap in front of the wood stove.

But somehow I've managed to move this print forward in the last few days. The previous orangey-brown color pass was a bit alarming, and I didn't want to have to stare at it for too long, so I rolled out a nice transparent purpley-gray (I have such great color descriptions, don't I?) and ran it over the entire block. At last.

Hey! There are some birds in this linocut! Step...um... 7

That's okaaayyyyy... but somehow it still feels a bit too wishy washy. Ethereal would probably be a kinder word. I'd probably use kinder words if those nap gremlins weren't whispering in my ears. Again. Now. Constantly.

After a bit more carving in the foreground water I was ready to print Step 8. You can see from the roll-out photo that I'm using a variant of the previous purpley-gray color, but with a little twist. The darker-looking ink is semi-opaque, while the lighter is a much-more-transparent version of about the same hue. I did this in part because I felt the background was looking a bit "splotchy," and an ink with a little more oomph would (I hoped) even things out. I did not want the foreground to go dark, however, so the more transparent ink was applied to that area.

Step 8 ink rollout

I dunno. I really like this color. Maybe it's just the influence of the weather this week....


Oops! I realized after I had cleaned up that I took this photo without the block on the table!

Okay, I think that might be it for the water. Maybe. Mostly. (Wait, did I say the print was looking wishy washy? Clearly it's not the print.... it's me!)

I'm definitely going for a softer mood with this image than the last two bird/water pieces I've completed, and that kinder, gentler tone is turning out to be less-comfortable territory for me. Sometimes I find it hard to resist the temptation of big visual drama. But I'd like this piece to feel quiet and gentle... without getting too sentimental.

Step 8 printed... on to the details of the birds!

At any rate... here's where we are at the end of Step 8. There are still many details of birds and their reflections to do, but I might be able to pull them together in just two more color passes. What do you think? Can I be three-for-three in finishing a reduction print in ten passes or fewer? Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...