Monday, February 8, 2021

Linocut in Progress: Not-so-quick sand

Last time on "Let's Make This Simple Idea As Complicated As Possible," the linocut wrestler decided she really didn't like the dark foreground that had developed in her image. It was an interesting effect, but not really part of the original plan. (As if anything like a plan actually existed. Ha.)

The solution? Get out the white ink and tone that whole mess down.

Step 12 rollup: Yes. That's plain old white ink.

It's important to remember that getting back to "white-white" on an image that already has a number of color layers printed is a difficult proposition. The white ink would need to be very opaque and applied rather heavily... and would have a different quality from the rest of the image. 

Lucky I'm not trying to get back to "white-white," then, eh? Just lighten things up a bit.

Step 12 mask

To ensure that this white pass was confined to the foreground I cut a newsprint mask. (Note how much simpler in construction it was compared to a lot of my crazy masks. At least I kept that simple!)

Step 12 printed: no more dark foreground

Et, voila! The dark foreground is gone. There is, however, an interesting phenomenon happening here, one that is not as alarming in real life as it appears to be in this photo but which should be mentioned. 

White ink in general is more opaque than other colors. For this color pass I did add some transparent base, but the white ink still reflects light differently than all the other previously-printed, very transparent layers. 

In short, it looks a bit chalky. 

I expected some chalkiness, although I was a bit surprised by just how much I got...  but I think it will be fine. A lot of this lightened foreground is going to get another hit of transparent gray-brown color after I remove many more tiny chips of lino, which I hope will add to the feeling of subtle sandy texture. Won't know for certain until I get there, though. 

Foreground managed, it was time to do a little something more with the background. I'm trying to suggest detritus of twigs and trash and eel grass, so I mixed up a sort of greeny-ochre. It looks really yellow in the roll-out, but I promise it's more of a greeny-ochrey-brown. (That's a very technical color name, if you're wondering.)

Step 13 rollup

Clever (or just lucky) me had kept the other half of the paper from the previous mask-cutting adventure, so I had somehow managed to create two masks at once. I did have to augment with some roughly bird-shaped pieces of newsprint, but that was easy enough. 

Step 13 mask(s) in place

Aaaaannnnndddddd...... Here's Step 13 printed.

Step 13 printed

It feels like it's maybe-kind-of-sort-of-possibly getting close now. I might even go out on a limb (or a twig or a piece of eel grass) and imagine I could be done in two more color passes, although more likely three. Okay, maybe four.

The biggest thing I am learning right now is how to take a simple idea and make it ridiculously complicated. Too much, really. My original intent for this piece was a "minimalist" composition. Bird. Sand. Some detritus. Simple. But then I decided to up the ante with a lot of subtle texture in the sand. I could have saved myself from having to print that white pass (I think) if I had been more bold (and patient) about cutting more material out of the foreground earlier, but I just keep inching up on the whole thing. Quite literally... another inch of carved texture, and then another, and then another. Ooph.

It's probably too early to mention this, but there is another sand/bird/detritus image waiting in the wings. (Bird artist joke. Wings. Get it?) I don't think I'm in any danger of jumping into such a piece immediately after this one, but if, say a year from now, you see me start another lino with a lot of gray and the word "sand" involved, feel free to roll your eyes and send me back to this post. 

Back to chip, chip, chipping away....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...