Monday, June 10, 2013

Linocut in progress: Columbine final step

Okay then! One final step put a little more interest in the lower left corner of the columbine reduction linocut, and I'm going to call it finished.

Step 10: Adding back a bit of dark.

Finished!
Working a large edition like this one was a good experience. On the one hand I felt I had more latitude to experiment with color, but once I settled on that color it was harder to maintain over a long run. In the end I think I'll have an edition of 40 from the original 50.

Work in the print studio is liable to be a bit erratic over the next couple of months, for reasons both personal and professional. I think it's safe to say there won't be ANY new prints in July, as I'll be on the road for workshops for most of the month. I'm aiming to get something underway here through the remainder of June, but we'll see how it goes. I've got contract work in process, an art fair to prepare for, and a few tasks far more odious which will require energy and attention.

But stay tuned! If nothing else, it might be time to start posting a bit more fieldwork than I have been lately. My friend Debby Kaspari is in Panama with her sketchbooks right this minute and the images she's posting are making me pretty darn twitchy to get after it myself. You can see what Debby's been up to over at Drawing the Motmot. Tell her I said hi!

1 comment:

  1. Forty out of fifty isn't bad for an edition that required so many passes and colors. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person. Will you have the columbine framed in time to have it up at Art Walk? Hope to see you then, if not before around town....

    ReplyDelete

Linocut in Progress: The Third Act

Time to wrap up this linocut ! And we are wrapping at warp speed (see what I did there?)... because there are deadlines. Exhibition deadline...