Things are at a fever pitch around here, as my departure for parts east is less than a week away and a few unanticipated minor crises have arisen.
I have, reluctantly, had to cancel a few commitments– but I think it was a good decision, since my body immediately responded to the drop in stress with uncontrollable sleepiness. I spent two days this week barely able to stay upright for three or four hours at a time. Can you say "exhausted"?
But Thursday I managed to stay awake long enough to get in to the studio and put a couple more layers on the snow scene linocut.
Step 5: Purple! I know it looks like blue, but it's really transparent purple over the existing blue layers. There are some subtle shapes starting to appear in the big expanse of shadow on the right– more a change of hue than of value.
Step 6: More purple! This time I added the tiniest bit of black to the pale lavender transparent ink, again trying to change hue but also to create a slight value change. You can see here how transparent the color is... it barely tints the lino block:
As I mentioned in an earlier post, this image takes its inspiration from a photo in which the shadow shapes are just one flat blue. I'm trying to create more visual interest and a greater feeling of distance, but I'm making it up as I go along. (A technique known as the "Sherrie-flying-by-the-seat-of-her-pants-don't-try-this-at-home" method.)
I'm pleased that it's starting to suggest some dimensional depth at this stage, although I'm still concerned about that big shape on the right. The temptation to put another value change at the base of the "hill" is high, but I wonder if it won't be too much. Only one way to know for certain, and that's to try it! Stay tuned.