|Linocut in progress, Step 6|
It's a good thing I made a big pile of transparent gray early in this process, since it saves me time both in thinking and in mixing new color. I added the tiniest bit of blue at this stage, and the printing was quite straightforward.
But for the next step all that changed. These branches sport leaf buds in an early spring stage: Still rusty red, although a few are starting to open. There's also a little "flame" to be added to the wing of the flammulated owl (Psiloscops flammeolus). Two slightly different colors, but they can be printed in one pass with spot inking.
|Spot inking. Sorry it's upside down. The light was better from this direction.|
Spot inking is a lovely approach when one only needs color in small areas, but it does pose some interesting challenges sometimes.
All of these color areas are small and much of the un-inked block will come in contact with the prints. I've shown the disastrous consequences of this before, but if you missed it just know that whole layers can be pulled off of slightly tacky prints with a dry block.
Soooooooo.... Time for another ridiculous mask.
It took a good chunk of the morning to cut multiple masks like this one, but once I had it ready to go the printing itself went smoothly.
|Linocut in progress, Step 7 (2 colors)|
It looks a little clunky here... the rusty color in the owl's wing looks particularly harsh. Time to whip out that transparent gray. Again.
|Linocut in progress, Step 8|
I love this pass. So much has happened with another transparent gray. The leaf buds are now two colors of rusty red, but I didn't mix another red! The owl is darker and the branches have a little more depth. The orangey color in the bird's wing is still a little harsh, but with one or two more gray passes I think it will fall back nicely.
Feeling pretty good about this now... methinks it will be done before the new year!