Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Ditch linocut colors 2 and 3

The "underfoot" series begins to be an actual series! Good progress has been made on the third linocut image in the last 24 hours, with colors 2 (light gray) and 3 (green) both making it on to paper.


There is, actually, a concept behind all this complicated imagery of tangled bits below my feet. (And it's not just about a bad habit of not watching where I'm going.) I find it curious that we tend to describe our trodden landscapes with "throw-away" words: leaf litter, woody debris, duff, detritus. And this image here? Not a pond or a creek or a stream. It's a ditch, plain and simple. There's something profound in this idea, I just know it. I'm not entirely able to articulate it yet, but it's there.

Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. coming along really nicely :)

    A lot of people don't take the time to look at what they are walking on (which might be why people fall into manholes :p...not me some other girl). Its a shame because people do miss out on seeing things. Maybe its the artist in me but I am always looking around me to see what interesting things there are in the area. You do the same, might not watch where you are going ;) but you see art in what other's would overlook as being ugly or cluttered. meh this probably doesn't make any sense lol I need sleep :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. We humans step on beauty all the time. Thank goodness for artists like you, Sherrie. It's a beautiful series already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. art - articulate. See the connection there? Which is my clever way of saying you are already articulating the concept, just not with words (yet).

    ReplyDelete

Opening this weekend! SAGA 89th Annual Members Exhibition

In the Shallows reduction linocut © Sherrie York 12" x 12" - Edition of 20 If you are in New York City this weekend, why not head ...