Thursday, September 10, 2009

Weird interruptions 2, Artist 1

Hooray! I made it through an outdoor drawing expedition without wet dogs or convicts! There WAS an annoying incident involving a woman, a bag of grain, and a noisy bunch of aggressive domestic geese that have been dumped in the state wildlife area where I went to draw. Grumble grumble grumble. But that was between drawings, not smack in the middle of them, so hardly counted.

Elm roots, Sands Lake SWA

I did learn that the problem with going to draw at a place where I regularly walk and take note of birds is that my first compulsion is to pick up binoculars and keep moving. I made a quick circuit of the lake, just to see what was around and then, WHEW! Managed some quality time with my pencil.

[And in case you're wondering, the quickie bird list included: Canada geese, American wigeon, common goldeye (an unusual juv that spent the summer here), a lesser scaup (seems early), gadwall, mallards (with ducklings), coots (with cootlings), Wilson's warblers by the bucketload, yellow warbler, evening grosbeak, red-winged blackbird, black phoebe, belted kingfisher, 60+ pinyon jays, blue jay, great-tailed grackle, lesser goldfinch, black-capped chickadee.]

8 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

glad you managed to get some drawing outside :D Looks good, nice linework.

dinahmow said...

That's a quickie bird list? Wow!I'd be lucky to list 10 or 12 around here. But I'm in suburbia!

Sherrie Y said...

Thanks, Jennifer.

Dinah, the lake is actually a settling pond for the fish hatchery, and it's right next to the Arkansas River, so it gets a lot of action. In the spring my usual 4-5 mile walk can turn up 60 species. It's pretty darn fun! Even in the winter I regularly tick 30-35 along this stretch. Come and play!

dinahmow said...

Come and play? Oh, I wish!

Robyn said...

What a beautiful tangle of tree roots.

I was actually envious of your tale of the wet tails and doggy slobber - it sounded pretty blissful to me ;) And all those wonderful birds!!!

Carol Mattingly said...

Sherrie, I usually frequent photo blogs but I like stopping by your blog several times a week because I have always loved drawing and illustration. I did a linocut in high school 30+ years ago. Not an easy task. I think it was a linocut but not positive. It was in my art class. Just wanted to say enjoy watching your work. Carol

turtlewoman said...

Hi Sherrie,

I just have to swoon right here on your blog :) I just received my journal (sueded leather cover, beads, beautiful papers:) and it is more beautiful in person than it was on your Etsy page. Your artistic talents are wonderful.

Thank you so much,

Lindy

Sherrie Y said...

Lindy! Thanks, I'm glad your new journal speaks to you... I'm sure it will be more than happy to receive what you have to say!

Carol, I'm honored to be "the non-photo blog." Surprise! I like to check photo blogs sometimes, too... and you have some nice images.

Robyn.. thanks. And next time I will send slobbery dogs to you. ;-)