Monday, June 7, 2010

Balance? Don't make me laugh.

Excruciating. The temperature yesterday afternoon? Exruciating. Two weeks ago it was snowing up the valley, yesterday it was 97 degrees. Can we PLEASE have a little balance here?

And speaking of balance... it's hard to come by in the studio just now, too. The Darling Man and I were gone to Colorado Springs for a couple of days, he played a couple of gigs at Adams Mountain Cafe (go there) and we did some arts schmoozing and such. Today and tomorrow I'm back at the computer for some contract work and in the studio to try to move along the current linocut... and then it's off to Albuquerque for the "Drawing on Nature" exhibition at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science.

As I said. Can we PLEASE have a little balance here?

Oh wait. I forgot. Friend Marj Hahne, poet and bright, shining mind stayed with us a few weeks ago, at which time we pinky swore to accept that we led unbalanced lives and just get on with it.

Right. On with it.

I got two more colors on the current linocut before we left last week, both green. Things are definitely at the "ugly duckling" stage just now... the gray looks purple with the green next to it (speaking of unbalanced). I'm trying not to panic. The feel-good thing about this stage is that I FINALLY got a transparent color to do what I wanted. More or less.

The next learning point will be centered around a product mentioned by Kellie Hames, Dullit. It's supposed to take the shinies out of oil-based inks... which I am quite tired of fighting with. I had never heard of it, but then it's been 20 years since I've set foot in a print studio other than my own. I do, however, have exciting news on the "Sherrie-is-finally-going-to-take-a-printmaking-workshop" front. Hm. But I think I'll save it for another post. This one's all over the place as it is.

Aiming to get back in the studio this afternoon, once the usual "how-dare-you-leave-your-email-for-three-days" triage and unpacking/washing/repacking of the suitcase are well in hand.

Mystery countdown: TEN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...