Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Darn it. And hooray!

The "darn it" part:

It looks like I'm not going to get this linocut finished before I leave in the morning. Things are drying more slowly now that there are nine colors (!) on this little image. And two more to go.

I had originally intended only 10 colors, of course... but in my impatience and rush I put on an eighth color that just didn't quite do it for me. It's okay.... and I'll save parts of it, but I went ahead and corrected the color for some areas and printed the block again.


So now they will sit until next week. I'm a little nervous that they might be TOO dry when I get back, but I'll just have to deal with that situation when and if it happens.


The "hooray" part:

Where am I off to in such a rush this time? Albuquerque, New Mexico, of course! For the opening of "Drawing on Nature" at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science and the annual gathering of the nature-journal-keeping clan. I think there are 30 of us who have contributed journals and sketchbooks to this exhibition, which opens this Friday and runs through September 12. The opening reception will be Thursday, June 10, 5:30-7:00pm. Stop on by if you're in the neighborhood!


I'll be hangin' wid da goils through Sunday, hopefully filling journal pages and working through some ideas that are continually lost in the day-to-day hubbub. It's about a six hour drive for me, and were it not for the fact that it's supposed to be 100 degrees down there the next few days I'd be doing some major dawdling en route. I expect I will only manage minor, shade-dependent wandering tomorrow, but the forecast for the return trip looks a tad less oppressive. The DM will sadly not be coming along for this one.. he's got his own gigs to attend to. Not to worry, though. I've left him a nice list of projects to keep him from twiddling his thumbs.

Until next week, then... have a great week, everyone.

Mystery countdown: EIGHT (It's not what you think....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linocut in Progress: Color in a gray season

 Mud season came early to the midcoast this year. So. Much. Rain. Seemed like a great time to get started on a piece with a little more colo...